When the seasons change, everything changes; hair can switch from dry and frizzy to heavy and greasy, while skin is either oily or bone-dry.
Especially for the Summer season, it’s important to find a group of daily beauty products that work for both your skin and the rising temperatures.
It’s all about simplifying your beauty routine for the summer. No one wants to be standing in front a bathroom mirror perfecting their cat-eye as they sweat the rest of their make-up off (and god forbid if it smudges later in the night).
Look below for the products we recommend that will not only carry your look well into the night, but also restore the harmony of your beauty routine and the ever-changing seasons.
1. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 – Oil Free. Switch out your heavy foundation for a tinted moisturizer. It’s oil free, so you don’t have to worry about summer breakouts, has antioxidants such as vitamins C and E, and even has SPF that can account for your daily slathering. Did we mention it’s non-comedogenic? For $43, this product is a must-have. You can find it here.
2. Bare Minerals Faux Tan All-Over Face Color. While we all covet that hot summer glow, baking your skin for hours on end isn’t the way to get there. Instead, lightly dust a loose-powder bronzer like this Bare Minerals one for a natural look that won’t cake on. This product is available for $19 at Sephora and you can find it here.
3. Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray. Avoid makeup smudges and smears this summer with this setting spray by Urban Decay. This one specifically helps to control oil and shine, and it promises to keep makeup stay put for up to 16 hours. All condensed into a lightweight microfine mist with no parabens, sulfates or phtalates, this spray is sold for $30 and is available at Sephora. You can purchase it here. Sprays also come in types for normal skin and combination skin.
4. Neutrogena Night Calming Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes. At this day in age, after all the beauty and makeup tips and tricks I’ve learned, one law I will always abide by is to take my makeup off before hitting the hay. However, there are times when exhaustion sets in and I’ll forget completely. Avoid raccoon eyes in the A.M. with these makeup removing towelettes from Neutrogena. They erase all traces of makeup, including waterproof mascara, and are soothing for nighttime. You can purchase these towelettes for $7.99 at CVS. They can be found here.
5. Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets. These oil-blotting sheets are portable and compact, perfect to slip into a clutch or your everyday bag. They remove excess surface oil and don’t mess up makeup, so for those scorching days when you’re more oily than usual, these will be your best friend. Get them for only $4.99 at Target. They can be purchased here.
6. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray. Big, bouncy, beachy waves are a summer must-have, so mimic those Brazilian beauties with this spray from Bumble and Bumble. This saltwater-based styling spray adds volume and gives hair that just-came-from-the-beach texture (not to mention smells delicious!). Bonus points for when hair is greasy or stringy, spray some of this in your palms, rub it around, and oil is instantly removed. You can find this spray at Sephora for $26 here.
7. Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara. How could we make a summer beauty essentials list and not put waterproof mascara on it? This one from Dior is by-far one of the best waterproof mascaras I’ve come across. It adds volume, lengthens and thickens, and it can be applied in multiple coats without becoming too clumpy. This mascara is found at Sephora for $25 and you can purchase it here.
Now that you know the best products for this season, you can finally carpe diem without weighing down your skin, hair, or beauty routine (let alone your precious time).
If all else fails, I always go for oversized sunglasses and a messy top-knot for a laid-back beauty approach. Put on a swipe of a bright coral lip stain and you’ve got yourself a simple, yet sophisticated, summer look. (And don’t forget to apply SPF!)