By Madelyn Hopkins
I am such a culprit of eating like your typical college student. Whether it be ending a long night Uptown with some Mac Bites, pounding down some Ramen before a Saturday day party, or finishing off your day of studying at King with some Ben & Jerry’s, we’ve all been there. There’s just something so good about eating a slice of pizza (or ten, no judgment) in your dorm with your friends.
However, always eating like this is definitely not the healthiest option. S/O to the girls that can eat whatever they want 24/7 and look like Gigi Hadid — mad respect. Sadly, I am not that girl. So I’ve come up with a list of my favorite, healthier snack foods that are filling and easy to eat in a dorm room or on the go!
I wouldn’t necessarily call this list healthy, healthy. I mean, don’t expect me just to write “kale” or “apple.” I am not that type of girl, and this is not that kind of list…
- Chips and Salsa — So affordable and you can find them in any market. Also, add some guac if you can get your hands on it!
- Sushi — The student market sells all different types of sushi (my fav is just the veggie roll), but this is a perfect, healthy lunch or light dinner!
- Peanut butter and Pretzels — Peanut butter is so filling so you won’t have to worry about being hungry 10 minutes later.
- Yogurt — My new favorite is Key Lime Noosa Yoghurt. It fills me up, and it tastes like a dessert.
- Cheese and Crackers — Recently, I’ve been trying out different types of cheese dip with gluten-free crackers, and this has to be one of my new favorite snacks.
- Pasta Salad — Every time I go home, I always make a visit to the local grocery store and grab some of my favorite pasta salad. It can last for a while and is the perfect dorm dinner.
- Veggie Chips — Okay this might be a bit of a cheat, but if you’re in the mood for chips, try out Veggie Chips instead. They’re crunchy and salty and, in my personal opinion, a whole lot tastier than potato chips.
- Oatmeal — I’ll be the first to admit that I definitely do not eat enough oatmeal. But it’s such a great breakfast option that’ll leave you full for hours. Most oatmeal brands come with microwavable / on-the-go options too now!
- Hummus — Hummus goes with everything (actually not everything, but you get my point). Carrots, pita chips, pretzel crisps, celery, the list goes on.
- Cheese stick — Okay…best for last…this is actually one of my favorite snacks ever. Sometimes, I’ll put one or two in my purse and eat them while at parties (why am I so weird??), but actually they’re lifesavers on a busy day.
So if you’re like me and get tired of eating the same foods all the time *apple, banana, celery, repeat*, try out these new snacks! Most of them are pretty versatile, so don’t be afraid to make your own healthy options that work for you! Finding a balance that fits your lifestyle is what eating is all about (and enjoying it!).